How Self-Publishing is Made Easy and Effective
Are you an author aspiring to undertake the big challenge of self publishing your book? Then it is indeed a great challenge to put your own efforts and dedication to publish your creation. Several authors, worldwide, try their hands at self publishing as it allows them considerable freedom to exhibit their research and skills. Also, many authors who want to have full control over their written work and are particular with the artistic expressions opt for self publishing their book. While some go for it since this kind of publishing involves less expenses. If you intend to self publish your written book, then you need to have knowledge and take charge of the complete process.
As a matter of fact, self publishing a book is very stressful process since you are in charge of every step involved in the process. You are supposed to be responsible for everything right from writing your book to marketing it. However, this process has become easy by following some guidelines, in the recent times. It is important that you should never get discouraged and keep in mind your target and profits that you are expecting from publishing your book.
How to Self Publish
- The first essential step for successful self publication of your book is to write your manuscripts effectively. Be it a novel, short story book, poetry book to memoir create it in one specific electronic manuscript. Insert relevant pictures of high resolution into the manuscript. The self publishing companies do not impose additional charges for inserting pictures in manuscripts. Make use of alignment tools to align and indent text. This will help you to properly format your written work.
- If you are about to publish a hard copy of your written book, then you should first ensure that your book is fully complete, properly edited and also effectively proofread. Make efforts to get contacts of reputed freelance editors and proofreaders who can efficiently do this task at a fixed rate. One of the most important things you need to give your book is a catchy title that can draw the reader’s attention. If you happen to have any contacts with graphic designers or some good cover designers make use of their specialization in order to design the cover of your written book. Or else you can even hire a professional freelancer for this if it fits in your budget.
- Be it a comic book or a children’s book, including good designing in your book will greatly help you to win the half battle of self publishing a book. Once you have got edited manuscript with outstanding cover page, contact good printing services for quotations. The rate of printing will differ depending on the number of copies you tend to order and the quality of the printed book that you are publishing in the market. You can even try to contact vanity presses that will offer you an excellent option of print on demand. This option will not have any interference with the content of your book. One of the most important things you need to take care of is to get ISBN numbers for your written books. You should keep in mind that these numbers can only be purchased in blocks of ten and not according to per book.
- Invest efforts to self publish your book by making use of the internet. You can approach a great resource of self publishing companies over the web. Such a resource will also offer you the companies that can translate your written book in any desired language so that people can find books written by you in language they are comfortable with. Such companies even reduce the expenses involved in printing and related expenses and handover to you the effective amount that equals 80% of the total amount earned from publishing your book. In the modern times, with the e-book gaining good popularity, self publishing your book over the web makes a good sense since it tend to reach greater number of readers, worldwide. This is even a beneficial option for people looking for self publishing their books for free without shelling out even cent from their pocket.
- Last but not the least, while self publishing your written book you might have to face some prejudices. Keep in mind that you should not get adversely affected due to it. Several popular authors, once upon a time, even had faced rejections before being selected by an efficient mainstream publisher. Moreover, self publishing is a great platform for the authors, who have been facing constant rejections, to display before the world their unique writings.
Thus, with the advent of internet, technology and good resource of self publishing companies, self publishing a book has become quite convenient.
Author Bio :- Jasmine Roy is a expert writer with rich experience in writing books, blogs, and articles on a wide range of topics. Through her years of writing and publication she has come to believe that Pubmatch is a great resource of book publishing companies for writers all over the world. She has complete faith in the book publishing companies over here as they offer various exclusive services such as offset printing services, valuable and up-to-date information in the favor of the book authors and also allow them to have a creative control on various aspects of publishing and promoting their books.
Thank you for sharing this, it is some very good information. I am hoping to self-publish a collection of poems and I think that I will definitely use some of these tips. Thanks again.
Good luck on your book of poems. 😀
Thank you, I really appreciate that 🙂
A lot of these services can be done on Amazon. Still, you shouldn’t rely on them for everything.
I am near the end with createspace for my 100 color cartoon book but seems last glitch is cover. I made my own covers but not competent to upload their cover specs – sheesh you would think it would take them mere minutes to convert from my jpegs.
LOL Seems to be a common theme of late. I heard from a few different authors that they were having the same problem. I’ve been putting books up on Createspace for 5 years and it was only with this last book that I had trouble. I think I modified the cover half a dozen times. 😀
Great reminders and advice. I need to look more into the ISBN thing, as I’ve heard several people mention it. Thanks for the great review!
It’s an older post on ISBN’s, but still has some good information in it if you’re interested http://selfpubauthors.com/2010/09/27/isbn%E2%80%99s-for-self-publishers-qa/
Reblogged this on Andrew Toynbee's very own Blog and commented:
A few tips from Stephannie Beman for the self-publisher.
You can buy a single ISBN if you want to!
You can, but I wouldn’t suggest it. It costs more and most services offering to sell you one, really can’t. ISBN’s are non-transferable. More often then not they remain the publisher of record.
I wouldn’t recommend it either, but I’m tired of reading incorrect information in blog posts about self-publishing!
There is a lot of it. 😀
Non-transferrable? Not everyone publishes through Createspace. Some of us are the publisher of record. Most services can’t sell you one ISBN? Ever heard of Bowkers?
I take it that there is some incorrect information in the above guest post or something I’ve said in comments?
The statement in the post that you cannot buy a single ISBN is incorrect, unless it has been amended. It said that when I wrote my initial comment. While I’ve found most posts on your blog accurate and informative, I felt this one had a tenuous understanding of the process.
The post has not been amended. While I posted it, it is a guest post from another author. I like to give authors chances to share their opinions on self-publishing, it is the reason this site was created in 2008. If you would like to write a post on self-publishing to enlighten others of their choices, I would happy to publish it also Our submission guidelines can be found here: http://selfpubauthors.com/guest-posts/