Thought I’d post this for those looking to Co-Author a book with another author. I suggest that you always write up a contract. This is the co-authoring contract that I use whenever I join forces with another writer. Depending on your needs, it may need to be modified for you.
We, (co-authors names), are entering into an agreement to write a full-length book in the (Specific) genre with the sub-genre being (sub-genre) to (Working title of the Book).
The following shall set forth our understanding with respect to our respective rights in (Working title of the Book) and the royalties and other considerations to which we may be entitled pursuant to said Agreement.
1. It is decided between the parties that the book will be referred to as (Working title of the Book), a working title that may at a later date be changed.
2. The copyright in (Working title of the Book) shall be secured and held in the name of (author) for the term of the copyright, and for any additional or new copyright which may hereafter be embodied in any copyright law throughout the world.
3. All moneys, advances, proceeds and other considerations which may become payable to us with respect to said Agreement and from the sale, lease, license or other disposition of any and all rights in and to (Working title of the Book) now existing or which may hereafter come into existence shall first be used to reimburse any outstanding expenses incurred by mutual agreement in writing and researching the book; remaining funds shall be apportioned between us as follows:
Percent to author:
Percent to author:
4. It is expressly understood that we hereunder do not intend to form nor shall this agreement be construed to constitute a permanent partnership between us. The terms of this Agreement shall be coextensive with the life of (Working title of the Book).
5. No mutual expenses, for which we are all responsible, shall be incurred without mutual agreement of both parties.
6. The authorship of (Working title of the Book) shall be: (name of author or co-author). We will instruct the publisher that these names are to appear on the jacket and title page of (Working title of the Book).
7. Each party hereto warrants and represents to the other that any material written or provided by her in connection with (Working title of the Book) is not in any way a violation of a copyright or common law or right of privacy and that it contains nothing of a libelous, obscene, or illegal character, and each party agrees to indemnify and hold the other party harmless against any loss or damage arising out of a breach of any of the foregoing warranties or the other incorrectness of any of the foregoing representations.
8. It is decided by both parties and agreed upon that the division of labor shall be thus:
9. In the event that one of us is unable or unwilling to continue or complete work on (Working title of the Book), the other may complete work on (Working title of the Book), without the assistance or advice of the co-author who is unable or unwilling to continue or complete work on (Working title of the Book). In that event, we agree to discuss modifying the relevant clauses of this agreement to reflect the new proportion of work we each will contribute, and, if we are unable to reach an agreement, to submit these negotiations to binding arbitration. We agree that we will not take any action that will harm (Working title of the Book).
10. We have employed and hereby designate (Agency) sole and exclusive agent in connection with this (Working title of the Book). All payments due or to become due to us in connection with the sale, lease, or license of this (Working title of the Book) shall be made to and in the name of the said agent who is hereby authorized to give receipt for same in our behalf. Said agent shall receive gross commissions on all licenses of fifteen percent (15%).
11. The terms and conditions of this agreement shall be binding and inure to the benefit of the executors, administrators and successors of each of us. Our respective signatures herein below shall constitute this to be a complete and binding agreement between us. This agreement may not be assigned by any party without prior written consent of the others, except that any party may assign his share of the gross proceeds hereunder to a third person, subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement.
Signed and agreed to: